Is LeBron Overated?

5/12/2010 7:04:02 AM
DCPublic
5/12/2010 7:04:02 AM Report Abuse

Discuss. 15 points on 3 of 14 shooting as the Cavs lose by 32 points at home!

He has good players around him. What's the problem?

Reply To 0vote up 0vote down
gatorade
5/12/2010 8:17:01 AM Report Abuse
@DCPublic

Dude is 24 years old and dominates day in and day ot throughout the season. He has 1 bad game and he is overrated??? In my opinion, he doesn't have the supportng cast of Orlando or LA. Most teams that win the NBA title have 2 stars. Cleveland has 1. Once again his supporting cast is not stepping it up in the playoffs just like last year.

CocaCola
5/12/2010 8:18:58 AM Report Abuse
@DCPublic

Silly question!

MIlitaryRD
5/12/2010 10:08:57 AM Report Abuse
@CocaCola

Overrated? No. A little B!tCh? For sure.

baseball18
5/12/2010 10:36:54 AM Report Abuse
@MIlitaryRD

I mean, how good are the players around him though? We all love Jamison because he was the consummate pro in D.C. but he's 33 and probably shouldnt be the 2nd option in a championship caliber team's offense--he still can make shots but he's not getting his own anymore. Mo Williams, just ok. Shaq can barely play half a game anymore. Anderson Varejao, Anthony Parker, Jamario Moon, Zydrunas Ilgauskus, Delonte West... does that sound like a championship roster. And keep in mind even the guys we think are ok might only be ok because they are playing with LeBron.

I swear this happens every year: the Cavs have a great regular season, but once the playoff intensity picks up no one besides LeBron can consistently get their shot. You just can't win anymore with just one guy, even if it's LeBron. Look at the other teams still in the playoffs, they all have multiple guys who can flat out score. The Cavs don't have that. I didn't necessarily expect them to be down 3-2 to Boston, but thinking about it more it's not that surprising.

bjones06
5/12/2010 11:00:22 AM Report Abuse
@baseball18

LeCrabDribble
LeTravel
LeKobeIsBetterThan Me
LeBandwagon
LeOverrated
LeESPN

LeHeartless
LePrince
LeBrick
LeJoke
LeClown
LeWannabe

You cannot create a Lord without the rings.
they mustve missed the movies.

MACInsider
5/12/2010 11:29:44 AM Report Abuse
@bjones06

LeMVP

damvp444
5/12/2010 11:30:58 AM Report Abuse
@bjones06

Hes def. not overated..i think its the fact that his suppoerting cast does not have consistency in the playoffs. Mo Williams did the same thing last year. We all know shaq is getting up there and near retirement. Varejao is ok, jamison is good but just is not cutting it.One man cant win the whole game. In my opinion Celtics will win this seriesi in 6 or 7.

eagles09
5/12/2010 11:48:12 AM Report Abuse
@damvp444

Anyone that thinks Kobe is better than LeBron is smoking crack, end of story.  There is no physical specimen that is or will be better than LeBron James playing basketball right now.  

MIlitaryRD
5/12/2010 12:12:57 PM Report Abuse
@eagles09

I'm smoking Crack then. Out of Kobe's Solid Gold Hand.

Cadet04
5/12/2010 12:15:53 PM Report Abuse
@eagles09

Wasn't Anderson Varejao on the All-Defensive second team?  How can no one think that's worthy of being "ok" or "good".  He's a pretty great low-post compliment for LeBron.  Jamison averaged near a double-double and is shooting 49% in the Playoffs.  Those are two good-to-great options around him.  Enough of the "does LeBitch have enough around him" talk.  He has enough.  They won the most games in the league this year, they are just being beaten by a team that wants it more. 

Or you could always believe the "LeBron is tanking it" theory.

Cadet04
5/12/2010 12:20:49 PM Report Abuse
@eagles09

"There is no physical specimen that is or will be better than LeBron James playing basketball right now. " - Eagles09

When has being a physical specimen meant you were the best?  The best is winning championships.  Dan Marino. Barry Bonds. Ted Williams. Patrick Ewing.  All great physical specimens and could be considered the best of their time.  None with a championship. 

UnitedSkins
5/12/2010 12:33:53 PM Report Abuse
@Cadet04

LeBron is either the best or second best player in the league. He's not overrated in that sense. He is absolutely overrated in the sense that I really don't think he makes players around him better. He makes his team better because lf how good he is, but he doesn't make the players around him better. People say that he doesn't have enough help. Please. The Cavs are LeBron's team and no one else's. It's been like that since day one. Let's say they manage to resign LeBron and get Chris Bosh. Chris Bosh in the LeBron show goes from averaging 24 and 11 to averaging 17 and 8.

MIlitaryRD
5/12/2010 12:35:46 PM Report Abuse
@Cadet04

And in response to Eagles... As far as the game of basketball goes? or In general? Because phsyically Basketball might not be the best fit for Lebron's specimenship. personally KD's arms and jump shot make make him for physically fit for the game of basketball. Lebron is going to slow down in his years, its physical science. KD? who knows.... Don't bring in speciement until you define what you are talking about, it wont be easy for a 30 year old to be playing at 250 or however much LJ weighs.

Ppatt78
5/12/2010 12:47:21 PM Report Abuse
@MIlitaryRD

he had one bad game... am i missing something here?

MIlitaryRD
5/12/2010 1:00:01 PM Report Abuse
@Ppatt78

You must be- His ring hand is empty and his team is one game away from elimination-

gphoya77
5/12/2010 6:00:31 PM Report Abuse
@baseball18

who are bostons stars that are anywhere near the caliber of lebron... they have 3 antwan jamisons a 6 7 version of shaqin perkins and the bring rasheed off the bench....and there star is rondo

UnitedSkins
5/12/2010 6:36:13 PM Report Abuse
@gphoya77

Cleveland's starting lineup has four players that have made All-Star games. Please stop saying that he doesn't have a supporting cast.

apman39
5/12/2010 8:04:29 PM Report Abuse
@UnitedSkins

Lebron is not nearly as good as Kobe.  He is never going to be, so people should just stop comparing him to Kobe.  If Kobe can grab ring number 5 then he and MJ will be talked about as being the greatest players ever.  Lebron will NEVER be in that conversation.  He cannot win in the playoffs and even if he comes back to pull out this series they will get killed by the Magic.  Lebron is a choker and Kobe wins when it matters. I also think that Lebron is overrated because people treat him like he is the greatest of all time when he hasn't won anything yet.

Ppatt78
5/12/2010 8:34:19 PM Report Abuse
@apman39

^ He's 24. A little soon for those kind of statements (both that he is a complete choker AND that he is among the greatest of all time, neither makes sense at this point in his career).

Remember how everyone said A-Rod was overrated, how he was not among the best ever because he couldn't compete in October? He figured it out, got his ring, and is poised to get more. IMO, LeBron is the kind of talent where you can put him with any team and they automatically become a contender. Whether its in Cleveland or New York or Dallas or wherever, the pieces will come together. AND people seem to be forgetting that he nearly ALWAYS plays well in the playoffs; these last few games have been anomalies by his otherwise unreal playoff standards. 

It's only a matter of time with LeBron. Even if he doesn't win it this year,  he'll get his rings. Will he get five? Who knows. But remember, if we are gonna compare the two (which is dumb), Kobe had a MUCH, MUCH better situation when he got his titles in the early 2000's, playing in a WEAK era, on a major market team with a history of winning titles, alongside the most dominant player of the decade in his prime (Shaq is a shell of his former self), with perhaps the best coach in history. You can say "those are just excuses", but you can't deny that Kobe benefitted from incredibly fortunate circumstances.  

At 24, does Kobe win the title this season with the Cavs? No way. Moreover, when the Lakers struggled after Shaq left, we heard the same "overrated" talk about Kobe.

Yes LeBron has room to grow as a competitor, he whines about calls and is an average shooter. But to say that he'll NEVER be among the greatest is to completely ignore his game. 

Terps56
5/12/2010 10:26:32 PM Report Abuse
@Ppatt78

Right now, to this day, he is overrated! He was given the title the first year the cry baby set foot on the court.  He hasn't squat yet!  The NBA has gotten softer over the years and his big ass body is just taking advantage of it.  The NBA has been looking for another savior since Jordan, Bird and Magic left the game.  They were crowing him "KING" before he made his first NBA basket.  Get off of LaChoke nutts!

ps019364
5/12/2010 11:21:41 PM Report Abuse
@Terps56

He may have had 4 teamates that were "ONCE" all stars but he doesnt have Kobe's supporting cast. Shaq, Antwan are not the players they once were, Shaq by a considerable margin. If you put LeBron on the Celtics or Lakers they win the championship. Without LeBron, Cleveland is a sub 500 team, better than the Wiz, but come on, after Lebron the next 4 best players in that series are Celtics.

UnitedSkins
5/13/2010 12:06:39 AM Report Abuse
@ps019364

LeBron plays in a way that is not condusive to improving the production of the players around him. Shaq's numbers are way down this year from last year. You can partly chalk that up to age, but Shaq has never had a year as bad as 12 points and 6 boards per game. Not even close. Mo Williams averaged 17 and 6 in Milwaukee two years ago, this year he's averaging 13 and 4. Antawn Jamison averaged 20 and 8 as a Wizard this year and 15 and 7 as a Cavalier.

You can say that LeBron would win championships with Kobe's supporting cast, but I can tell you this much: You put Pau Gasol on the Cavaliers, and he doesn't average 18 and 11 anymore. He averages 15 and 8.

The Lakers supporting cast is full of names that people are impressed by, but Kobe and Pau are the only real stars on that team. Andrew Bynum averages 15 and 8, Ron Artest averages 11 and 4, Lamar Odom averages 10 and 9, Shannon Brown averages 8 and 2. Compare that to LeBron's supporting cast, and the difference isn't really that staggering.

Cadet04
5/13/2010 1:02:19 AM Report Abuse
@UnitedSkins

You're all "witnesses"... or huge a-holes.  LeBron was crowned before accomplishing anything.  Sure, he's had one bad game.  But considering he gets EVERY call, he should never even have a bad game.  he was 3-for-14 but still finished with 16 points because the refs bailed him out. 

If you want to say he's one of the 10 best to play the game without a championship... you know less about basketball than you portray yourself to know.  Stop pretending and jumping on the bandwagon.  No one is impressed by you repeting the same terrible statistics.  Here's a fun fact.  2 MVP's. 0 Championships.  Steve Nash boasts the same stats, and you could argue that Nash deserved one or possibly two more, but wasn't given them thanks to some media bias (mostly towards lebitch and kobe).

Do you know how happy I'm going to be when it's a Phoenix-Orlando finals?  I'll be doing cartwheels all series.  I can't effing wait.  Im sure David Stern will use some pull to make it not happen.

Mdlax
5/13/2010 3:51:52 AM Report Abuse
@Cadet04

Ok first off Lebron is NOT overrated, and second he's not a bitch, he's just used to getting every single call every single time he goes to the hole. If you call Lebron a bitch then Jordan was the biggest bitch ever to play in the NBA. I am a huge Jordan fan, but come on, if Jordan even looked like he was about to drive to the hole the refs were blowing the wistle. It's the same thing with Lebron, well some of these calls arent going his way now so he's pissed, as was Jordan when he played. There are only two players that consistantly get calls all the time no matter where and when, and thats Jordan, and Kobe. So Lebron a bitch, no. A little spoiled when it comes to calls, yes.

zaga79
5/13/2010 8:18:17 AM Report Abuse
@Mdlax

Does everybody remember how many rings Jordan had at LeBron's age? They couldn't beat the Celtics who were a better team with Bird, McHale and Magic, they couldn't beat the Pistons with Isaiah, Dumars, Rodman and a deep bench. He had 0 rings at the same age. It will come. He had a Horrible game the last time out but NOBODY at this stage in their career on the Cavs is going to step up in this series.

The Celtics have 4 guys that can all have big games and a point guard that can do whatever he wants against the Cavs. I think LeBron can play but I don't think there going to win this series. Neither he or Jordan or Kobe can do it alone.

He also is one of the best passing players his size making his teammates better not worse, its just there really not that good.

Terps56
5/13/2010 1:42:37 PM Report Abuse
@zaga79

This is what the Washinton Post/NBCSports.com has to say about Labron/Kobe:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/37122223/ns/sports-washington_post/

Cadet04
5/13/2010 6:10:04 PM Report Abuse
@Terps56

Jordan also played 3 years in college... so how about you compare playing years.  This would be James' 7th year in the league. He's got 2 MVP's and 1 championship appearance.

By Jordan's 7th year... 3 MVP's and 2 Championships and a Defensive POY. 

Stop. Comparing.

baseball18
5/14/2010 1:15:16 PM Report Abuse
@Cadet04

agreed about phoenix-orlando. that would be some fun basketball to watch

Mamba
5/16/2010 10:12:51 PM Report Abuse
@baseball18

There's so much media pyscho babble that gets repeated as the gospel.

Was Jordan a great player when the Pistons used to beat up on him and knock Chicago out of the playoffs?

Was Kobe a great player when Shaq left and he used to score 80 points a game but the Lakers were awful?

Is Wade a great player even though he lost in the first round?

These are all great players - as is LBJ.

What has defined them is that their respective team managements have put the players around them to win championships. No one player in NBA history has been great enough to do it on his own. No one has stood over his peers with that type of superiority. It's still a team game.

Cadet04
5/16/2010 11:37:25 PM Report Abuse
@Mamba

HE HAS 3 ALL STARS AND A 2nd TEAM ALL NBA DEFENDER AROUND HIM!

WHAT MORE DOES HE NEED?!??

I will not apologize for all caps.  If you can prove that those players werent All-stars or show that those other players played with even better rosters.  Then I'll buy your argument.  However, Since we all know who was on those rosters and they weren't a better compliment of talent.  I'll just assume you are going to stop using that argument, and hopefully, stop talking.

DCMONEY
7/26/2010 11:49:06 AM Report Abuse
@Cadet04

Lebron is the best player in the NBA right now.  I hate when I'm discussing individuals in team sports and people bring up championships.  Its a dumb flawed argument.  People confuse individual ability with a teams success.  Clevelad was an awful squad before Lebron got there.  When the Cavs reached the finals, if you looked at that roster that had to be one of the worst rosters in NBA history to reach the finals.

Terps56
5/12/2010 1:45:27 PM Report Abuse
@DCPublic

He is Overrated!  He is a good player, but not a great player!  Kobe is the MVP and everyone who is not on LJ nuts know that.

LaChoke would never make it if you players in the league like a younger Barkley, Lambier, Zo, Rodman, Dumars, Ewing, etc. They were real players, not the young bitches that are in the league now that LaChoke intimidates night in/night out.

If Kobe has a bad shooting night, we can atleast count on him for some good DEFENSE!

CocaCola
5/12/2010 2:12:11 PM Report Abuse
@Terps56

Terps 56;

As a 2 time MVP, I am certain most NBA observers would disagree with your assessment of LeBron  being a "good, but not a great player.

If LeBron is not a great player, by your standards, who else do you consider to be a great NBA player, other than Koby?  I would bet that if the NBA general managers could have their pick of any current player in the league LeBron, Durant, Howard, D-Wade and Koby would be on everyone's short list, probably in that order.  By the way, those 5 happen to be the First team All NBA team this year. 

MIlitaryRD
5/12/2010 2:19:46 PM Report Abuse
@CocaCola

As much as I couldn't stand reading terps post, your post spelling Kobe "Koby" has completly been erased from my Mind-

CocaCola
5/12/2010 2:23:33 PM Report Abuse
@MIlitaryRD

Sorry Road, but I'm not KB's biggest fan!

bigpimpin
5/12/2010 3:17:51 PM Report Abuse
@CocaCola

WOW!!! i love how ignorant people can be, this guy is a 2 time mvp at only the age of 25, has led his team to the nba's best record back to back years, and is considered by many nba analyst as one of the 10 greatest nba players of all time ALREADY, and he has one bad game and now all of a sudden he's overrated??? and i think its the dumbest thing when people equate greatest wit how many rings you have, winning championsips is a team thing, not individual! robert horry has what 6 rings but does that mean he's a great player? derek fisher has 4 rings but does that means he's a great player? patrick ewing, karl malone, charles barkeley, john stockton none of which have rings so does that mean that there not great players? no so that whole "he's not great cuz he doesnt have a ring" arguement is ridiculous. Lebron has no supporting cast period, and he by far has the worst supporting cast of any team remaining in the playoffs! any other team in title contention you could take there best player off the team and they would still make the playoffs! celtics would still be in the playoffs without one of there 4 stars, orlando would still make the playoffs without dwight, lakers would still make the playoffs without kobe, cavs would be nowhere near the playoffs without lebron. And how does lebron not make the players around him better? bcuz if im not mistaken moe williams was an all star last year and im sure half of you on here couldnt even name the team he played for before he got to cleveland because  he was not talked about because he didnt do anything! and as soon as he comes to cleveland and plays with lebron he's an allstar, but yet lebron doesnt make anyone around him better tho.

dcsportfan10
5/12/2010 3:19:35 PM Report Abuse
@CocaCola

WTH If we are questioning Lebron being overrated after a 3-14 15 point game then we should have tons of forums asking "is kobe overrated". Kobe Bryant has had  miserable shooting games over the season and the playoffs and no one ever questions him.

And i think anyone who says Kobe Bryant is the league's best player is just a Lebron hater more than a person who says Lebron is better because they are d!(k riding.

And please come on now your telling me Lebron does not make his teammates better? Do you think JJ Hickson would have averaged what 15 a game while in the starting line up if he was on any other team? Or guys like Andy Varajao or Boobie Gibson( who used to fry before he randomly stopped getting run) would be frying if they were on another team?

And consecutive MVP awards proves that Lebron is the best right now because nba analyst and superiors makes that decision. So ask yourself this is it more of d!(k riding Lebron fans that say that he is the best or Lebron haters that say Kobe is better.

dcsportfan10
5/12/2010 3:21:44 PM Report Abuse
@dcsportfan10

And Terps56 smh at you just smh how could you say Kobe is the MVP when Lebron has won it the past two seasons and Lebron beats him in about every statistical category this year smh.

baseball18
5/12/2010 3:33:29 PM Report Abuse
@dcsportfan10

Here is my question: have any of LeBron's teammates proven that they can consistently score on their own in the playoffs... I don't believe so. It's not a bad supporting cast, true, but it isnt that good either. Cadet I know you hate LeBron, and I don't love him either, but I have to go against you on this one. Stats aside, Jamison and Varejao being "good-to-great" I think is way too much credit. The Cavs play good defense and that is a main reason that they're so good in the regular season--couple that with the fact that LeBron gets to the hole with considerable ease in the less-intense regular season.  Teams don't let that happen in the playoffs and the Cavs are thus rendered ineffective in the playoffs way too often. The Magic have 5 legit scoring options on their team, the Lakers have 4, the Suns have 3 plus a barrage of shooters... how many does Cleveland have--legitimately?

MIlitaryRD
5/12/2010 3:47:31 PM Report Abuse
@baseball18

baseball im shocked you used the words Cavs and defense in the same sentence.

I watched two games recently featuring the Cavs and Celtics. And there were more times Lebron put his hands in the Air bitching about a no call than there were times him going back to play defense on a break- The man Can score with the best of them (although he wasn't the best at that this year) but he an't win with the best of them. I'm pretty sure you can Ask Dan Marino what he'd rather have, An MVP or a SuperBowl and he'd tell you- Wake me up in ten years when and IF Lebron has a ring-

dcsportfan10
5/12/2010 4:00:09 PM Report Abuse
@MIlitaryRD

Yea the Cavs play ZERO D which is why they finished tied for 5th in OPPG last season while 3 of the 6 teams out of that top 5 are sitting at home. Dont let 1 or 2 games giving up over 100 points fool you. Did we already forget about the dismantling  Boston also recieved at home?

Mamba
5/12/2010 4:08:32 PM Report Abuse
@dcsportfan10

Yup - LBJ is overated. There are maybe 10 players in the history of the game that can be mentioned as being in the same elite category. One game is not an entire career.

MikeSellers45
5/12/2010 5:09:57 PM Report Abuse
@Mamba

He takes a faceplant it Game 6, say's its the elbow, comes back for seven and torches it, winces after every shot and then he looks like some grizzled warrior.

He's a bitch, but hes's not overrated.

New Comment

You must login to report abuse. Close